We’re looking for a strong Remote Visual Designer with a broad range of experience and skills to complement our existing Product and Marketing teams to help give our users and customers a great impression of the Ghost brand.
Hey there! We’re looking for a new member to join the Ghost team, maybe that’s you?
We’re a non-profit organization on a mission to create modern, independent publishing technology to power the future of online journalism.
This is not a rocket-ship. You won’t find any unicorn glitter or exponential curves around here, just a real company with a sustainable business that has been profitable from year 1 and has been growing healthily ever since. Currently our Annual Recurring Revenue is $2,000,000. We’re very transparent about our mission and our metrics, you can read all about us.
Ghost is a full-stack web application for running independent publications. It’s one of the most popular modern open-source projects in the world and is used in production by tens of thousands of websites and companies.
Chances are you’ve already visited and read sites that run on Ghost. Our users range from hugely popular bloggers like Jeff Atwood, Troy Hunt, and Joel Gascoigne – through to some of the world’s largest organizations like Apple, Square, DuckDuckGo, OpenAI, Cloudflare, Digital Ocean, Mozilla, Napster, Tinder, OkCupid and many, many more.
As the company grows, we’re looking to expand our design team and improve everything about the Ghost brand and how it’s represented to our users and customers. We care, deeply, about great design and experience — at the expense of most other things. Design work has a very strong voice here.
What we’re looking for in a Remote Visual Designer ?
This is a broad role which is about leading design in lots of different areas, primarily around all of our brand, marketing, website, and just about every property that our users will come into contact with.
All of Ghost’s design was initially done by our Founder/CEO – John, and today our design is led by Zimo – who spends the majority of his time deeply focused on our product. You’ll be the 3rd member of the Ghost design team, so you’ll have a massive amount of opportunity to influence design across the entire organization.
All designers at Ghost code their own work. There’s plenty of collaboration, but definitely no hand-off process. We’re looking for someone who is just as comfortable working with modern HTML & CSS as they are in Sketch – and very happy to see their designs through from paper to browser.
What this Remote Visual Designer role involves:
- ? Creation of websites, landing pages, themes, email templates, checkout flows, billing UI. Designing and building many of our most public-facing properties. The visual voice of the company.
- ⚡️ Working with design and marketing teams to define, evolve, and maintain Ghost’s brand identity across all marketing and product touchpoints.
- ? Working with the marketing/business team on projects which are directly related to growing the business and creating user-facing content.
- ? We work on cross-functional product teams of 2-5 people, usually one designer and a few developers.
- ? Lots of freedom to take control of your process, iterating and learning what works (and what doesn’t), and putting your work into production. There’s a lot of opportunity for professional growth here, as the team expands.
- ? Communicating effectively with stakeholders when presenting your work and clearly articulating your design rationale
- ?♂️ Managing multiple projects, while setting appropriate expectations and meeting realistic deadlines
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Very comfortable with code. Ghost is a software company, and everyone here codes in one way or another. You’ll need to be comfortable with coding your designs in modern HTML & CSS.
- Fiercely independent. All teams at Ghost operate fairly autonomously, and all team members are responsible for helping make decisions about what needs to be done. You’ll need to be comfortable ideating, prototyping, testing and delivering designs without someone standing over your shoulder telling you what to do.
- Meticulous about style. Despite frequent character assassination amongst UX professionals, aesthetic style matters a great deal. We don’t A/B test 50 shades of blue here to determine what converts best, we care about making beautiful things which we love.
- Humble but opinionated. We like smart people who have lots of ideas, yet are happy to discard their former opinions whenever a better way of doing things presents itself.
- A clear communicator. Good design is good communication, and as a remote team that communicates almost exclusively through writing — concise, written communication is absolutely essential to this role.
- An active collaborator. We look for people who actively want critical feedback on their work early and often, and who get a kick out of refining and pushing what they do as a collaborative process because it creates a better end result. No design heroes.
- Hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Almost all work at Ghost is complex and extremely challenging – but also deeply rewarding. We’re not in the slightest bit fucking interested in what Design-Twitter thinks about… well, anything at all really. We’re aggressively uncool.
This Remote Visual Designer role would be particularly suited to someone with a background as a freelancer or at an agency, who is looking for more, that they aren’t getting from doing client work. This is a role where you can help influence design over the long term, not just fulfill a temporary brief that needs to be delivered quickly.
We don’t mind where you’re based or what hours you work, but this role does require a reasonable working-hours overlap with the rest of our product/marketing teams in Europe.
We value diversity of all types at Ghost and our team is made up of a kind, thoughtful group of people with a wide range of backgrounds. We have as many people who speak German as we do English and our engineering team contains as many women as it does men. Some of us are single, others are married, while others are parents. We actively try to find people with different perspectives and experiences to the ones we already have.
All jobs at Ghost come with
? Competitive salary
We pay well at market rates reflecting both location and experience
? Fully remote work
Work from anywhere in the world, or travel continuously if that’s your thing. Everything we do is online. As long as you have wifi, you’re all set.
? All the tech you need
We’ll pay for whatever hardware and software you need to work and make sure you’re regularly upgraded to the latest versions.
? Office costs covered
Whether you prefer a home office or a co-working space, we’ll help pay for it.
? Personal development
An annual budget for books, courses, conferences and travel expenses.
✈️ Twice annual international team retreats
Every 6 months we get the whole crew together for a week away. The last few trips have taken us to Dubai, Thailand, Austria & Egypt.
? 3 day weekends, all year long
We close the office on the last Friday of every single month. Enjoy!
? Unlimited paid vacation*
*Minimum 2 weeks per year, if you don’t take it yourself, we kick you out of the office in December until the new year rolls around.
? Paid parental leave
When the time comes to welcome a new member of the family, we offer 3 months of fully paid parental leave.
? Guaranteed pay-reviews
Everyone at Ghost receives annual pay reviews to update their salary for market rate changes and inflation.
? Dog friendly office
Just kidding we literally don’t have an office – but apparently tech companies think is an important detail to put on job descriptions and we didn’t want to feel left out. So, um. Feel free to work with your dog.
?Cats are cool, too.
How to apply ?
We’re profitable, we have unlimited runway, and we have very healthy revenue growth. There’s no investor pressure, time limit, or need to hire as many people as fast as possible to fill a fancy office. We want to keep the team small, automate as much as possible with robots, build great software, and enjoy our work. Those are the things we optimize for. If that sounds like a good fit for you, then we’d encourage you to get in touch.
All jobs at Ghost start with an application form, progressing to 1-2 short interviews, and finally a (paid) trial project assignment.
Rather than trying to guess if we’ll work well together based on lengthy arbitrary interview questions or challenges – instead, we invite promising candidates to work on a real life trial project with us and pay them for their time. Trial projects are typically 20-30 hours of work, and give us an opportunity to get to know each other prior to pursuing a full time offer. It’s also a chance for candidates to get to know the Ghost team and make sure that it’s a good fit for them.
The button below will take you to the application form for this position where you can tell us a little more about yourself. Or, if you know someone who would be a great fit – maybe send them a link to this page?
Please note: For this particular position at Ghost we are explicitly looking for someone who is based outside of North America.